Monday, April 13, 2009

Slow Spring


The ever present Black-capped Chickadee

Spring has been frustratingly slow in coming this year, the temperatures have been steadily below average for weeks. It got up to 50 degrees on Friday so I rode my bicycle down to Tifft Nature Preserve to see if any invertebrate life was stirring. I have been actively shooting insects and arachnids since I got a macro lens a year and a half ago (examples here). I generally think of it as research for my art projects and kind of a fascinating challenge. In any case, there was only little bit of action at the nature preserve, the Red Velvet Mite was the only invertebrate picture worth showing.

5 comments:

AngelaWC Creative Gifts said...

I know, just like this weekend. Easter Sunday was very sunny and windy. I was so mad because I wore a spring coat and I needed to wear a warmer coat. This weather sucks.

RebeccaB said...

the red mite looks cute enough to pat, he even looks furry.....i take pics to digitally scrapbook and have posted recent holiday snaps on my blog, lighthouses and stuff....

Amy G. said...

Wow, that mite is gorgeous... though if I saw him in real life I'm not sure how I'd react... how big is he, anyway?

Unknown said...

The red mite is probably 2 mm long, so not exactly a monster.

mark said...

That mite photo is amazing, I love the detail.

My dogs started barking-- they hate mites, ticks and things like that. I think then sensed trouble...